DVM Student Externship Opportunities
- Students will work closely with the supervising Associate Veterinarian to gain experience in gathering patient histories, performing physical exams, creating of treatment plans, diagnostics, dentistry services, observing/assisting or performing surgical procedures, and medical management of patients.
- In addition to practicing their clinical skills, student externs will have the opportunity to practice their communication skills with the medical team, support staff, and clients.
- Your schedule will include daytime scheduled appointments, no evening or weekend appointments.
- Externs are encouraged to participate in all aspects of patient care and case discussion.
- Be enrolled in an accredited DVM/VMD program.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Carry professional liability insurance.
- AVMA PLIT liability insurance is free for all student members of the AVMA
Clinic and Externship Description:
- Dr. Brydon (Illinois, V’20), the supervising DVM for externship students, is a huge advocate for veterinary student opportunities. Having gone through similar experiences, she welcomes the chance to help future colleagues develop real world clinical skills and can attest to the benefits of the externship’s value.
- We have a wonderful partnership with CareVet. We are a network of veterinary hospitals anchored by a deep commitment to the teams that serve our clients and patients. Being a CareVet Team Member, we receive the same quality of care and support we deliver to patients every single day through their Whole Person Approach.
- Lincoln Way Animal Hospital is the oldest veterinary hospital in our county, celebrating seven decades of serving the community with veterinary care, and has been in existence since 1952. We are a close-knit but professional, family-oriented staff, which is among our strongest qualities. We pride ourselves on quality over quantity, attention to detail, and thoroughness. (Team members from other corporate practices have referred to our hospital as a “unicorn hospital”.). We have diverse, skilled, and experienced technical and support staff.
- We are a quickly growing and expanding 2-doctor primary care veterinary clinic (Dr. Emily Shew, Virginia-Maryland V’02 and Dr. Emily Brydon, Illinois V’20) that provides evidence based preventative medicine and surgical care for dog, cats, exotic pets, hobby farm animals, and small ruminants. (Dr. Brydon likes to keep up with a variety of species, while Dr. Shew sticks exclusively with traditional SA and exotic appointments.) Our services are by appointment include:
- Wellness examinations for all life stages
- Professional Dental cleaning
- Routine and preventative surgeries
- Elective surgeries (lump/mass removal, cystotomy, cherry eye correction, entropion correction, ear hematoma repair, exploratory; etc)
- Comprehensive Exams
- Diagnosis and Treatment/Management of injuries and disease
- Digital X-ray
- We are currently planning a building remodel to include a new dental suite, expanded treatment space, kennel expansion, additional exam room spaces.
- Goal to expand to include endoscopy and rhinoscopy services
Interested in applying, fill out the form below: